Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Arizona UPRISING -- who is funding CD9 races?

As you know, I've expressed my deep concern about one of the Democratic candidates for Arizona's new Ninth Congressional district seats.

Now, we have more detail available on some of Andrei Cherny's big dollar donors, who they work for and what they might expect in return from Cherny in the event he succeeds in his quest to be elected this fall.

Notable on the list,

  • Mark Nunnelly, employed by Bain Capital (yes, THAT Bain Capital) $2,500.00
  • Josh Bekenstein, employed by Bain Capital (the same Bain Capital) $2,500.00
  • Samuel D Bekenstein (a student, apparently Josh's son, above) $2,500.00
  • Dennis DeConcini (former US Senator from Arizona, now on board of directors of private prison firm, CCA) $1,000.00
  • Bobbette Gorden, wife of Arizona State Professor Emeritus Robert Cialdini (author of Influence: the Psychology of Persuasion) $5,000.00
  • Numerous individuals with connection to capital investment firms
I should point out that Professor Cialdini's research at Arizona State established the link beyond a shadow of a doubt that campaign contributions create a sense of obligation for the successful candidate to repay the donor with favorable legislation.

Obviously, all of the candidates, from both parties, receive substantial campaign contributions. I'll dig more into the Republican side of this race after the primary. However, it is notable at this point that former CIA operative Leah Campos Schandlbauer received endorsement and a donation of $5,000.00 from the Citizens United Political Victory Fund.





13 comments:

  1. Bobbette Gorden gave to all 3 democrats running in CD9. Way to obviously attack Cherny and not look into the other two candidates fundraising at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the Federal Election Commission, Gorden has only donated, this year, to Cherny; in 2011 she donated to Gabrielle Giffords campaign (obviously, before Giffords announced she would step down). http://query.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/ind_detail/GORDEN%7CBOBETTE+J%7CTEMPE%7CAZ%7C85282%7CINFLUENCE+AT+WORK/

      Delete
  2. That is strange since on both Sinema's and Shapira's FEC April 15th quarterly reports Gorden is listed as donating. Sinema on January 14th and Shapira on January 3rd, 17th and 20th.

    Or you can just look right here at the very long list of her donations: http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/search.php?name=Gorden%2C+BOBETTE+&state=AZ&zip=&employ=&cand=&c2012=Y&c2010=Y&c2008=Y&sort=N&capcode=c4w99&submit=Submit+your+Donor+Query

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, is it also wrong for Barack Obama, the DCCC, the DSCC, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, and other Dems to take money from these same people because they are employed by Bain.

    Have you looked at the other dem candidates finance reports? (I did)

    And are you saying that an individual, who happens to work for a particular company is denied the right to donate to the candidate of their choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I said what was wrong for Cherny to do. If I didn't say it for him, why would I say it about the others you list?

      However, I will say that the concepts I cited about Cialdini's research and the connection between campaign contributions and a sense of obligation to the donor is unchanged by what I think is right or wrong.

      The issue, as I presented it, is that the connections exist and voters should consider the facts when deciding for whom to vote.

      Delete
    2. I guess I'm seeing you post your concerns about them donating to Andrei but I don't see the same concern about donations made to other Democratic Candidates at other levels of government.

      And while I was not in politics at this level I have been an elected official and I can say that I never changed my vote for anyone not matter what they donated to a campaign or whether or not they supported me.

      Delete
  4. Since the individuals who happen to work at Bain have also give to Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry,the DCCC and the DSCC should people be attacking them?

    Have you looked at the other dem candidates finance reports? (I did)

    And are you saying that an individual, who happens to work for a particular company is denied the right to donate to the candidate of their choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to say what people should do about this situation. Do what you think is best and appropriate.

      Delete
  5. Steve, FYI Bobbette Gorden is reported on David Schapira's 1st quarter finance report.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dennis DeConconi has donated to both Kyrsten Sinema and David Schapira.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve, sorry to keep posting but I keep finding more information. Bobbette Gorden has also given to Kyrsten Sinema and Ann Kirkpatrick in 2012. And Richard Carmona. I found this all on the Federal Elections Commission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will address these comments in a new blog post. Clearly, it is easy to get wires crossed and signals mixed and otherwise confused. Some of the claims made in these comments are worth a response. Some of the claims appear to either not necessarily be accurate or possibly complete.

      Delete